[Stoves] Equipment required for testing stoves

Alex English english at kingston.net
Sat Dec 8 18:05:57 CST 2012

On 08/12/2012 12:25 AM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:
> Dear Crispin,
>
> What was the diameter of the chamber?

30 cm.

> Do you have a good idea what the burn rate was?

I'll guess 7- 8kw, but that is an estimate based on assumptions. Sound
familiar?

> I realise the calculation of the power output per unit area will be
> difficult to get precisely but I'd like some idea. Operating at a low
> level sets the low power limit for stove characterisation and the
> determination of the Turn Down Ratio of a stove.
>
> I am thinking 'warming' power for long, low cooking.
>
> Then, for the same chamber, based on your experience what would the
> maximum burn rate be? As the upper limit is constrained by draft
> through the system the rate is a statement about /your/ system, but
> still, what sort of controllability did you obtain for the power level?

Perhaps 12 kw.

For my test burner on natural draft the burn rate (or pyrolysis front
downward movement rate) is 6-10cm/hr.  Higher if you can up the primary
air. Josh should be able to tell us what that was for his forced air
tests. I once pushed the BIG-TOP hard with a high pressure blower but I
didn't record the rate. Sounded like a rocket though. At some point we
fluidise the bed.

Alex