[Stoves] things rattling in my brain after ETHOS

Otto Formo formo-o at online.no
Wed Feb 1 04:25:47 CST 2012

Dear Erin,
Nice to hear about different experiences from Africa and improved stoves.
Just a few comments:
1. Yes, people or women "loves" charcoal in Africa (and Haiti) and thats why we are trying to convince them about other alternatives. During our demonstrations of the gasifier, Peko Pe, in Zambia using Corn cobs as fuel, people kept on asking:
"Can we use charcoal, as well?" AND we had to keep on saying:
"The gasfier produces charcoal, so whats the point?"
Since they are so focused on charcoal, we recomended to utillize the gases in the Corn cobs for cooking in the gasifier (1/2 hour) and empty the char into the locally made Mbawula (US$ 1-5, Charcoalstove) for another hour of cooking or simmering. It worked out very well.
I would guess that the stove metioned, could be the SAVE 80?
Why?, because its looks very nice (stainless steel) and are very expencive (more than US$ 100) and is fueled by woodchips. Normaly this would be a stove for peri- and urban settings, due to the costs and whom normaly uses charcoal as fuel. Low income, rural households uses mainly three stone fire and firewood.
2. Yes, and I still feel sorry for them, but they are not stupid.
If people are given alternatives and sensible options, like the combination of a durable gasifier and a low cost charcoal stove, we feel it will work out nicely.
Our experience is that charcoal is considered as the "only" option in urban settings, due to the fact that hardly any other type of biomass or suitable stoves are available.
There are a LOT of biomass from agri- forest waste, just a matter to make it available for peri- and urban settings, like charcoal of to day.
Using pellets, you can extend the cooking time 3-4 times.
3. In Zambia most pots are less than 5 L in a rural setting.
When we are talking about 20 L or more, we need to make permanent cooking stands, just like for institutional kitchens.

Have a nice day.

Otto