[Stoves] advice for chimney wood stove for rural Burkina Faso

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 19:15:28 CST 2012

Dear Crispin,
the grate costs about a dollar each, whereas a 3.5 m long chimney having a
diameter of about 8 cm costs about US$6. Formerly, these chimneys were mass
produced as water pipes, but nowadays people use plastic pipes for water.
There is only one manufacturer in our state who makes the cement chimneys,
and about 15% of them are found to be broken on arrival. Fixing the
chimneys is a tricky business, because one has to make a hole into the
ceiling or the roof of the house. If this hole is not properly sealed,
rainwater drips through it. After using it for about 3 months, the chimney
generally gets choked with tar, which is very difficult to remove. Once
that happens, the stove produces more smoke than the traditional stove used
to produce, and disgusted, the housewife removes the improved stove along
with the chimney. We have recently installed our chimneyless stoves in
about 1000 households under a special programme funded by Cummins (India)
Ltd. These stoves are now in operation for almost a year and there are no
complaints.
Yours
A.D.Karve

--