[Stoves] Chimneys can be excellent and indoor air crucial

rbtvl at aol.com rbtvl at aol.com
Mon Feb 6 23:32:09 CST 2012

Chronic coughs and upper respiratory congestion are wide spread and serious for the Maasai.  The women and children love living in an environment free to breathe and with no eye irritation. With a tall chimney for good draft and a well designed fire box they can have benefits of efficiency and better health.

We must deal with people and their homes,   not with abstractions.  I bet no one on this stoves list would sit and cook alongside a Maasai woman for  more than a few minutes without a chimney.

We have overheard Maasai kids trying to convince others to get their parents to buy a stove because life is better.   That is about indoor air.

The stove is expensive. A goat and a half.

Bob Lange
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone provided by Airtel Tanzania.