[Stoves] Grass bundles as TLUD fuel

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 20:47:05 CST 2012

Dear Vetle

Your picture titled Grass bundle is exactly the fuel was being used in the restaurant cooker in Kampala. In order to make a business out of the grass, they tied it tight and sliced it between the ties like a sausage. This was fairly dense actually. The burn time was similar – a bit less.

You may find the technique of binding works for you too. The ‘slices’ were sold individually. If the grass is stacked with some tops at one end and the same number at the other end, the result is a cylinder, not a cone. That yields slices the same diameter.

>…It was little tricky to get the gasification started in the beginning. But
after some fail and trying we manage it quite well. We expected the grass/
straw would burn rather quickly and with a high energy level. That was not
the case, more or less, in our test.