[Stoves] Grass bundles as TLUD fuel

Michael Mahowald memahowald at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 10 09:30:27 CST 2012

Thanks Vetle, this is really great news for us at haitireconstruction.ning.com ,  We really want to use the grass naturally, to get people to grow more hedgerows to stop erosion.
We didn't have too much luck with the grass in its natural state so far in Haiti, it was dried for a long time but maybe still held a little moisture since it produced a lot of smoke.
We will make sure it is even drier next time and try to work on adjusting the holes and tighten the bundles.

We did get a hold of grass pellets last night and they worked great!  With only 4 inches of pellets in the bottom of our large stove designed for natural fuel we boiled a gallon of water in 12 minutes and it heated our oven to 430 Degrees burning for over 30 minutes.  Our stoves capacity could burn these grass pellets for 2 1/2 hours!

I have a video of the new stove top with oven on our website front page, I am working on making a better video with this latest grass test in the next weeks.

Thanks Mike