[Stoves] Cleaning Dung

Paul S. Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Fri Feb 10 11:21:18 CST 2012

Boston,

I look forward to learning about this from you and others.

1.  In India, 2 ladies working for me cleaned out by hand the larger
particles that include some short straws from the barnyard.  We then
made a 2 - 3 cm thick layer on a surface, impressed it to make about 6
x 6 cm grid squares, and let it dry to become "tablet" fuel for TLUD
stoves.  Burned fine.

2.  My trial like the above in America was with "old" dung from a
feed-lot of cattle.  Very poor combustion results.

3.  Traditional dung cake patties use the whole fresh dung.

4.  From the above and what I understand, "old" dung that is dried is
not nearly as good a fuel as fresh dung that is then dried.  I suspect
that "buffalo chips" from the Great Plains dried rather fast in the
dry climate and was an okay fuel.

5.  So, why do you want to wash the dung?  Do you want what is removed
(to use as a fertilizer liquid?) or do you want the solids?

6.  Washed elephant dung leaves behind significant fiber that can be
made into elephant dung paper (I bought some in South Africa as
stationary.).  But that is because of the diet of elephants being so
"woody".  Cattle dung has less lignin, I believe.  and pig dung has
little, and dung from carnivors and birds is not suitable as a fuel (I
have heard, from Dr. Tom Reed I believe.)  Chicken litter value is
from the bedding, not from the poop.

I am just commenting misc info that I have.  I seek to learn from
others.  Please keep us posted.

Doc
--
Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Known to some as:  Dr. TLUD    Doc    Professor
Phone (USA): 309-452-7072   SKYPE: paultlud   Email: psanders at ilstu.edu
www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/giz2011-en-micro-gasification.pdf   (Best ref.)