[Stoves] combusting Coffee Pulp/Cherry

Frank Scott franks at q-net.net.au
Sat Feb 11 07:29:50 CST 2012

Paul

Thank you for providing that information. However during my stay in Brazil,
I was taken to numerous coffee farms and I never saw a single pig at any of
the plantations that I visited. The coffee growers there scattered many tons
of their wet processed coffee pulp in-between the rows of coffee trees.

Besides the putrid smell, this enormous amount of coffee pulp waste causes
severe environmental problems, such as water pollution, soil acidification
and greenhouse gas emissions through deforestation.

At the same time the fuel costs at some of these larger farms can amount to
well over $10,000 per year and rising. Senior management from the Pinhalense
Group also advised me that wood resources were becoming scarce and that
sometime in the future they will be prohibited from using wood to dry their
coffee beans.

By using my technology to burn this wet coffee pulp, which you correctly
point out is an extremely low-grade fuel, we were able to get temperatures
of about 1000°C. (not bad for such a low grade fuel)

This would save some the coffee growers the $10,000 which they are now
paying for their rising fuel costs and would result in the following
environmental benefits

. reduction of methane emissions from uncontrolled anaerobic digestion of
coffee pulp

. reduction of water pollution from improper long-term storage of coffee
pulp

. reduction of soil acidification from disposed coffee pulp

. reduction of deforestation in surrounding areas

The amount of coffee pulp produced at some of the farms that I have seen
would feed scores of piggy’s and perhaps most coffee growers are more
interested in growing coffee then raising pigs.

There are horses (pigs) for courses.

Cheers

Frank

  _____