[Stoves] oven-dried vs sun-dried biomass and TLUD stoves

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Sat Feb 25 16:48:54 CST 2012

Rajan,
That was a brilliant elucidation of the progression of the combustion process. Thanks much.

When we oven dry the water-saturated   briquette as it comes out of the mold, versus drying it in ambient well but naturally ventillated conditions (3 to 5 days generally) the sun dried bq preforms better every time. Had never really considered why until you elaborated the sequence of combustion and products there to.

For us, natural drying– with maximum surface area exposure–is also important, because uneven drying generates uneven shrinkage which in turn tends to shear  the randomly arranged fibers which hold the bq together.

Regards Richard Stanley
www.legacyfound.org