[Stoves] Is there a role for combining torrefaction and char-making stoves?

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 21:26:29 CST 2012

Dear Ron,
the work by Kirk Smith exposed all of us to the problem of indoor air
pollution. Even the Government of India stopped insisting on biomass
burning stoves with high efficiency and started to recommend stoves that
burned the fuel more cleanly. From the point of view of clean burning,
charcoal and biogas stand at the top of the scale. Irrespective of whether
you burn these fuels in the open, or in a well designed stove, they burn
cleanly. I know that you are against using charcoal as cooking fuel, but I
want to state that charcoal is a very convenient, cleanly burning and high
energy fuel. Making it is relatively easy, and we have shown that it is not
necessary to cut trees for making charcoal. One can make it from dry
agricultural waste or even from the fallen leaves from underneath the
trees. We are currently helping some forest officials in our state
in popularising our leaf based charcoal among the inhabitants of our
forests, so that they don't fell the trees for making charcoal illegally.
Yours
A.D.Karve