[Stoves] Is there a role for combining torrefaction and char-making stoves?

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 15:28:31 CST 2012

I' not sure about the attribution of the bit below but anyway:

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 00:32:13 +0000 (UTC), rongretlarson at comcast.net
wrote:

>I don't think that 450 is the right upper limit for the term "torrefaction" - I think even 280 oC might be too high an upper limit. Saying this because I think we want to keep as much energy gas in the product as possible. Some of the first useful gases coming out are not exothermic - and so we don't mind losing them. We certainly shouldn't ever mind the big water weight loss.

450C is definitely the realms of charcoal, over half the dry matter
has gone by this stage.

Just because it has been given off by an endothermic process doesn't
mean the offgas species are non combustible. I think anhydrous acetic
acid will burn but not in combination with the other early species of
pyrolysis, mostly water.

AJH