[Stoves] Is there a role for combining torrefaction and char-making stoves?

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Tue Feb 28 17:51:56 CST 2012

Stovers,

So we have 'Wood and Biomass and we have biochar. Isn't everything in
between torrefied biomass?
And the definition of it starts when wood gasses start leaving the biomass
and ends when the weight loss becomes stable (to a point)? If not we need
more terms for fractions not filled in by torrefied biomass. I prefer having
several degrees of torrefaction. That because the curve is steep for weight
loss and structural changes between 250c and 450c. Stable below 250 and
above 450c.

Not sure how to group the lower, middle and upper values of torrefied
biomass. Lower could be up to when the biomass snaps meaning structure is
broken, Upper is when the volume is 25% reduced to biochar.

The TD sticks start at 0.69 cm wide and 15 cm long ( 10.35 cm sq)and end up
at 650c to be 0.42 wide and 13 cm long (5.46 cm sq).

Just suggestions

Controlling the process of making the torrefied material we want to be sent
for char making seems real tricky IMO. So much happens in such a small
temperature-time change in this range.

Frank

Frank Shields
42 Hangar Way