[Stoves] Is there a role for combining torrefaction and char-making stoves?

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 23:27:27 CST 2012

Dear Friends

Re Ron’s comment:

“Not sure how to group the lower, middle and upper values of torrefied
biomass. Lower could be up to when the biomass snaps meaning structure is
broken, Upper is when the volume is 25% reduced to biochar.
    [RWL:   A said above, I only can agree on the "lower" being torrefaction.   I think/hope the definition includes the concept of hydrophobicity. ]”

I support the idea that we look for a definition that is meaningful to the stove community. That means if it is a material that has significantly different and replicable properties. Hydrophobicity is one of interest, and other is the remove of endothermic volatiles.

What would help is a clear difference to the stove user, somewhere between wood and charcoal with at least some properties of neither.

Would it be reasonable to say 280 +-20 (i.e. 260-300 C)?