[Stoves] Biochar Stove Discussion at ETHOS

Paul S. Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sun Jan 1 10:20:16 CST 2012

Dear all,

I totally agree with the Tom and Mark about having a panel on biochar
at the ETHOS 2012 meeting at the end of this month (January).

I submit the following additional information:

1.  I offer to be on the panel.  I attend biochar conferences and
frequently present about biochar production.  I think that I should
NOT organize nor lead the panel.

2.  Let's define what biochar issues will be focal, and which will be
secondary.  Tom Miles wrote:
> I think the emphasis should be on field experiences with the use of
> char in developing countries more than on stoves that make char.

However, ETHOS is NOT a group of soil and plant scientists, nor is it
focused on climate change.  Summary statements about the secondary
topics could be useful.  But our primary focus actually is the ability
of cookstoves to make char (and what types of char?) and in what
quantities and with what fuel feedstocks.

3.  I am sbmitting today (via this message to Angie)  my abstract for
a presentation at ETHOS.  I would like this to be a regular
presentation that is at any time slot before the panel discussion.

*******************

Abstract for ETHOS 2012

Title:  Micro-gasification for Combined Heat and Biochar (CHAB) in
“Mini” Industries

Authors:   Paul S. Anderson, Charles Anglin, Art Donnelly and Paul W. Wever

Abstract:
Micro-gasification devices at “mini” sizes from 20 to 150 kW (70 K to
500 K BTU/hr) provide far more thermal power than is needed for
institutional cooking and far less than most applications of the heat
for small industry and space-heating of buildings.  Currently
functional devices and applications are explained and discussed with
quantitative data.  These include:  TLUD heat for Paramont Dairy in
Uganda; TLUD drying of cacao beans in the SeaChar project in Costa
Rica; AVUD (continuous automated operation) heat and biochar
production for a municipal bio-digestor and for factory space-heating
by Chip Energy in the USA, and barrel-size biochar production (without
use of the heat) by several initiatives, including the Jolly Roger
Oven, the Re:Char project in Kenya, “in-field” biochar-barrel system
by Anderson, and efforts by UB International in Mongolia and elsewhere.

********************************
Notes:

1.  Anderson will be working with Art Donnelly in Costa Rica in the
middle half of this month, so the results presented will be as up to
date as possible.

2.  This presentation is intended to be one of several by different
people at ETHOS about TLUD micro-gasification.  Known or suspected
presentations include (These are NOT in order, and we hope that they
will NOT be in concurrent sessions,)

A.  Marc Pare, on micro-gasification advances using rice husks as fuel
in TLUDs.

B.  Christa Roth, on GIZ advances with charcoal stoves, including the
TChar technology.   (if unfamiliar with "TChar", please see
www.drtlud.com   )

C.  Paul Anderson, the CHAB devices (see abstract at start of this message).

D.  Robert Fairchild, (title not known, but he works with TLUD and
TChar devices for project in Haiti, and brings an engineering
perspective to the topic.)

E.  Kathy Nafie, President of the Biomass Energy Foundation,
presenting about outreach activities in North America and overseas by
the BEF relating to micro-gasification.

F.  Presenter unknown, but work by Aprovecho on TLUD /
micro-gasification will probably be presented (we hope).

G.  Does Jim Jetter or someone else involved with stove testing have a
summary of emissions data from micro-gasifiers?  (we hope so.)

H.  OTHERS:  I do not want to leave anyone out, but I do not know of
all of the efforts with micro-gasification, and / or if they will be
attending.  There are now numerous projects and efforts around the
world (including Wendelbo / Formo in Zambia).

And because all of the TLUD stoves and devices can be use to make
biochar, these also relate to the topic of this email.  I would like
to hear (via a direct message) from anyone with a TLUD-type topic for
presentation, even if you are not going to attend ETHOS.

NOTE:  The deadline for abstracts to ETHOS is TODAY 1 January 2012.
In past years there have been some extentions of time, but that is up
to Angie and Mark of ETHOS.  Contact them immediately if considering
sending in an abstract.

Plus:
The Saturday evening presentation (sometimes called a "Keynote"
presentation) this year will be on

"The Present and Future of Micro-gasification for Cookstoves:
Expectations for Achieving the 2020 Goals of the Global Alliance for
Clean Cookstoves."

I will be making that presentation, and I assure you that it will NOT
be what you have heard before nor even in the numerous presentations
listed above.

I am suggesting that the ETHOS administration allow this to be a
"public lecture" open to everyone, not just to the those who register
for the ETHOS conference.  If that is allowed, we can attract a larger
audience to our ETHOS objectives.  Perhaps our host University and
other organizations such as SeaChar and BEF could help publicize the
presentation.

Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Known to some as:  Dr. TLUD    Doc    Professor
Phone (USA): 309-452-7072   SKYPE: paultlud   Email: psanders at ilstu.edu
www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/giz2011-en-micro-gasification.pdf   (Best ref.)