[Stoves] Biogas backpack

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Mon Jan 9 22:20:51 CST 2012

Making biogas from food waste of a normal dry matter content is roughly the
same as making fuel from food or feed.
Whenever and wherever possible, it is best to feed food waste to pigs.
The feces of the pig is then fed to BSF larvae, and the residue of the
larvae is fed to red worms.
The residue of the larvae can be mixed with biochar before it is fed to red
worms.
The residue of the red worm along with biochar is returned to the soil.

If there is no possibility of feeding food waste to pigs,
then food waste can be fed to larvae, and the larval residue goes on to red
worms.

All of this is explained on my website: http://www.esrla.com/
On BSF larvae, see specifically : http://esrla.com/pdf/landfill_04.pdf
On integrated pig farming, see: http://esrla.com/pdf/landfill_09.pdf
See also the conclusion to the paper: http://esrla.com/pdf/landfill_10.pdf
Also there is a postscript that I have just written and not yet posted:
http://esrla.com/pdf/landfill_14.pdf

When energy is needed, we should give priority to gasification:
http://esrla.com/pdf/landfill_06.pdf
Of course we should only gasify biomass that has no food or feed value.

However I do believe that there is an important place for biogas plants.
This is a wonderful technology to handle liquids that contain relatively
small amounts of putrescent material.
For example, I am currently designing a fixed film biogas reactor to
process the effluent from coffee milling machines.

I propose that:

   1. dry coffee husks be gasified,
   2. wet coffee pulp will be fermented and fed to pigs (followed by BSF
   and red worms),
   3. coffee effluent be routed to a fixed film biogas reactor.

The heat from the burning of the biogas can be used to dry wet coffee beans.

In processing waste materials we should always have many options before us.

Thanks.
Paul

Paul A. Olivier PhD
27C Pham Hong Thai Street