[Stoves] Inverted top lit updraught

Peter Verhaart pietverhaart at bigpond.com
Tue Jan 17 02:30:28 CST 2012

Charcoal making was not an important objective of the Eindhoven
Woodburning Stove Group; even clean burning was not initially considered
important by the Steering Committee. The objective was saving fuel in
the preparation of food.
The Downdraft stove was the first clean burning stove we developed. It
could be fed continuously but utilising the heat was not straightforward.
There was no deliberate partitioning of primary and secondary air; the
layer of burning char was not thick enough to deplete the air completely
of oxygen; whatever oxygen was left after passing through the char bed
was used to burn the volatiles. If the fuelbed was not too thick, enough
oxygen passed through to burn the volatiles downstream.
If the fuelbed thickness was increased the stove worked for a short
period as a gasifier but only while the chimney was very hot from the
proper burning period. After that there was smoke everywhere.
We did have a shot at producing charcoal in a stove that would burn only
the volatiles. Wood sat in a vertical cylinder, closed at the top with
an opening at the bottom. Air was drawn into that opening to burn the
wood in that vicinity. Around the wood filled cylinder an insulated
chimney surrounded it. The idea was that burning part of the wood would
produce hot gas which could be burned at the top under a pan. The hot
gas heated the cylinder, charring the wood inside.
It didn't work and we had no time to look into proper dimensioning which
might have resulted in something that did work.

Peter (smoke) Verhaart