[Stoves] Inverted top lit updraught

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu Jan 12 22:25:38 CST 2012

Tom (cc Andrew and list):

Thanks. Professor Prasad is certainly one of my heroes in stove work. It was fun to read (I need to re-read) this report on a helpful down draft design. But char production was not a part of his analysis. I will look more closely to see if there is something there to allow for a char-making design. I think the main issue is predicting something on needed chimney heights - which seems to be in there. But it appears to me that both primary and secondary air were traveling through the fuel - whereas I presume a need to separate the air supplies - as in the TLUD.

The message (below) by Andrew to the stoves list was at least in part generated by some off-list conversation that we have been having on BLDD and char-making. The issue is why are almost all gasifiers (which can be operated to give sizeable char output) based on BLDD, but (apparently) all (?) char-making stoves are TLUD?

I hope anyone knowing of a BLDD char-maker will let us know.

Few items below also on Andrew's e-mail..