[Stoves] Micro Auto Gasification System (digression)

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 14:19:09 CST 2012

Dear Marc

New Dawn Engineering www.newdawnengineering,com is a privately owned company
dedicated to creating wealth in the hands of others formed in 1981. The best
way to do that is to make tools that can be used to create wealth, tools
that are well made and well-conceived (with the business plan in mind) to be
able to generate income in an environment where there is no electricity.
There are several of our hand-operated rock crushers and sand-cement roof
tile makers in Cameroon. There are 90 more of the crushers in Haiti
processing building rubble.

It happens that New Dawn Eng makes a couple of stoves, sometimes other large
ones, sometimes industrial heat applications for dyeing cloth and so on. We
have made manually and hydraulically operated stove making tools, for
example press tools for metal parts and clay presses for ceramic stove
parts. It is a tiny portion of the business. Stoves have been sold to
perhaps 15 or 20 countries. Can't remember.

We will never become rich doing this because our target market does not have
much money, but we have created a bit less than 10,000 jobs in rural and
peri-urban manufacturing. So it can be said that we have to a certain extent
achieved the primary goals which were to survive and also to launch others
in self-sustaining income generation.

The activities of the company have generated about 10 patents, two design
awards (for a stove), one business plan design award and New Dawn Eng was
one of four finalists in the "Corporate Environmentalist of the Year" in the
WWF-sponsored 1993 event for Southern Africa. The other three were the Shell
Foundation, the Mazda Wildlife Fund and Londolozi Game reserve (who won the
final).

The company trains all staff including machinists, welders, assemblers,
admin, CAD operators and sales personnel 'off the street' to show that
people can achieve great things if given the chance and proper training.
Manufacturing started in 1984. Thousands of people use equipment copied from
our products. In 2009 the manufacturing operation was sold to the staff for
a price they could afford. It is as far as I know, the only manufacturing
company in Swaziland's Matsapha (formal sector) Industrial park wholly owned
by local citizens.

The fact that I mostly work on stoves these days is by accident and
interest. Neither activity gets my full attention. The world is full of
valuable distractions. I spend a lot of time researching physical phenomena
including climate issues and materials science.

Thanks for asking. I wish you success in your endeavours.

Crispin

please Crispin
can i know more about your company ?
thanks in advance