[Stoves] The upside of Down feed

Alex English english at kingston.net
Tue Jan 24 20:14:10 CST 2012

Ron,
As you know small dimensioned biomass generally chars as a first stage
of combustion. If the char moves into an air starved zone in the furnace
it will cool a bit and collect. This happens past the end of the grate.
It forms a long Kilimanjaro shaped mound in the pipe. The peak is about
half the pipe diameter. Perhaps its a stretch, but it could be described
as half of a convergent/divergent nozzle. The acceleration over the peak
seems to prevent further pile growth, a form of mountain top removal,
char-coal mining. I'm not the first to link coal to Kilimanjaro.

I have not tried to turn it into a char maker. It is possible that a pot
could be placed under that portion of the pipe, et viola.  For now it
remains a known unknown.
Alex