[Stoves] The upside of Down feed

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Wed Jan 25 00:02:11 CST 2012

Alex and list:

Interesting that this mound forms. It seems there must be substantial velocity to the air. Can you guess as to the length of the mound - both actual and in diameters..

You say " This happens past the end of the grate." I have had a mental image of a rather complete blockage of the pipe with new pellets only able to fall down and begin pyrolysis as lower level char was burned up. Is that part still a correct image? Now I am envisioning enough high velocity air flow that there is also this separate " long Kilimanjaro" which is not physically connected to the "pile" directly under the hopper. Maybe this forms to a certain length and then can grow no more? Anything you can do to give a better mental image of why this shape would be appreciated. This mound is fully charred?.

I of course like the idea of the pot - and hope that char production can be part of the operation.

I am missing (after a few minutes of googling) the connection between coal (charcoal?) and Kilimanjaro

I also sent a different note with more questions about 8 hours before this response. Still hoping you can answer those questions also.

Thanks Ron