[Stoves] The upside of Down feed

Alex English english at kingston.net
Wed Jan 25 05:59:09 CST 2012

Ron,

On 24/01/2012 12:35 PM, rongretlarson at comcast.net wrote:
> Alex and list:
>
>    This is to further explore the idea of char production in your
> device (which we should call??).
We could call it the thinking-outside-the-box-stove stove:)  Suggestions?

>    In the exchange below, I think I have to side with Crispin - is not
> the fuel essentially all combusted?   Of course it is the usual
> two-step combustion - with pyrolysis first leaving a pile of char -
> which is then itself more slowly combusted?   As the char disappears,
> more pellets are able to fall down.  You seem to have established
> stable rates of pellet and air flows such that the pyrolysis zone is
> unable to travel up into the hopper.
A combination of forces are moving the pellets down and over while they
burn, completely.

>    The Venturi effect you mentioned is one drawing both pellets and
> air down from the hopper - yes?   (When I wrote yesterday I was
> fixated on char movement.)
No, the venturi is the shape of pile at the end of the grate. It is not
a functioning venturi. The chimney effect draws the air.

>    My reason for still pursuing the char production possibility is
> that your geometry seems very similar to the Dasifier (concept of Agua
> Das - being ccd).  Das tells me he can produce char.  Somehow your
> grate has to be replaced by one that allows char to fall through??
> Is there any alternative then to an auger?
Air and gravity may be able to move the char enough to create a
continuous flow. As the pellets lighten during charring they are more
subject to the force of moving gasses. A bit f a long shot, but possible.

>    Might it make sense to replace the tall chimney in some
> circumstances with a blower?  (To lower first costs - allowing a much
> shorter chimney?)
Yes.

>    Is this development related at all to backup heating of your
> greenhouse?  Or manly intended for home heating?  Any applicability to
> cooking?
No No this is pure science:)  My first choice is to succeed with wood
chips as they are cheap and available and cordwood and chainsaws has
taken a toll on my old tendons and ligaments. Combustion processes are
adaptable to local needs and circumstances. I won't predict how they
will be used. I used Tom's TLUD camp stove to heat phosphoric acid to
clean a copper heat exchanger at the greenhouse last fall. It was
perfect for the job. Who'd a thunk.

Alex

Ron