[Stoves] thanks

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Mon Jan 30 19:02:29 CST 2012

Er in and stove list: This is to follow up Erin's "thanks" message below

There were not too many regular stoves list contributors present, so let me start a quick summary from one person's perspective (hope to hear where others came away differently). Other list-stovers there were Paul Anderson, Damon Ogle, Marc Pare, Christa Roth, Dean Still, and of course Erin's dad, Tom Miles. I am sure there were many other "stove" list listeners/lurkers among the roughly 100 in Seattle, who I hope will also chime in.

Here are some thoughts on the agenda - running chronologically. Most sessions (and lunch) were 1.5 hours with half hour coffees. most of the time 15 minutes behind schedule - all suitably relaxed. Most all will have PPts up in a few weeks. I have not seen this following time schedule on the web - so that is art of reason for using this format...

Friday night. (1.5 hrs? at motel; packed room.) Maybe 10 different presenters of informal slides, short PPts, and a few videos. No discussion after any. I believe these will ALL be available through the ISU office - perhaps through Nordica MacCarty.

Sat AM 1a Intros, ETHOS background, Mark Bryden and Dean Still
1b Peter Scott - mostly on his new Seattle area design firm (Burn Manufacturing) - easy to find on web. Looks like a large group; mostly (?) stoves but also larger. I expressed concern about working on charcoal-using stoves - which is about only area where I heard disagreements all weekend.
1c. ISO activities, John Mitchell (EPA), Christian L'Orange (CSM grad student!!), Dean Still and/or one more (name missing); Good progress on four protocols and standards. All seemed very happy on progress. 3 more topics in the wings - one on sustainability. Everything done by 5 "tiers" - apparently solved major problems. Four (later maybe 3 more) different tier rankings possible for any stove.
AM 2 - 3 breakouts. I went to ones by Larry Winiarski (rocket tutorial) and Christa Roth (really excelelnt new lengthy report from GIZ on mostly char-making and gasifiers. on the web.
PM 1 Panel on Biochar , Miles (moderator, short Ppt)); Anderson, Jim Grob (short SeaChar ppt), mysel, f Amanda Ravenhill (BABA: Bay Brea Biochar Alliance??) Roth , Still ; mostly on five technical pre-stated questions. I thought this went well - all comments (?) positive, no disagreements on anything; this was tutorial.
PM 2a - 3 breakout; I attended 3 biochar talks by Robert Fairchild, Ravenhill, and Jeff Holiman - all informative and well done
2b. Elisa Derby of PCIA - an annual report, showing how they are merging this year into GACC - Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves); all going well in long-planned transition; they now have 5-year funding.
2c. Leslie Cordes on GACC (operating out of the UN Foundation in D.C). Very detailed planning five year docs (possibly now available on web.). Nothing on different specific types of stoves. Nice non-technical brochure available. This is totaling (?) $100 million over five years.
Evening , 3a Iana Aranda - first time attendee talking on Evaluation.
3b Paul Anderson - one hour well-done, non-technical sales pitch on char-making stoves

Sunday AM 1 1.5 hour panel on village power (not at all on stoves): 4 speakers, starting with organizer Prof. Bryden. Also speakers on tying into smart grids, optimization, etc.
2 3-way breakout again - I attended one on village power (Bryden and recent ISU grad Nate Johnson); very detailed energy data on one small Mali Village, 4 seasons, lots on stove ownership, use, fuel gathering etc. 94% of energy was with wood - mostly gathered without difficulty from their own farms. Amazing discard of disposable batteries.
PM 1 Another 3-way breakout. I attended one on solar lamp impacts in Uganda (?)(Brown Univ. Senior Furukawa) , Rice husk experiences in Vietnam (Georgia Tech recent grad Marc Pare) I thought very insightful; working in part now with char-making (MUCH cleaner and more efficient (cheaper) than combustion, when firing bricks, 2 Canadians on wheat straw pellets (REAP) I missed much to catch ride, but this looked well done also.
PM2 was to be stove demos, but was raining - not sure what happened. Hopefully Erin will have some photos.
PM3 - closing (??)

Maybe half dozen displays - well done. I liked a big (55 gallon drum?) good-looking commercial water heater from Aprovecho - said to be very efficient. Looked well designed for rockets - but maybe easily converted to batch TLUD. Numerous TLUDs brought by Paul Anderson. Much information from GIZ (Christa Roth).

Of course much of the benefit of these ETHOS meetings (any meetings) is the chance to talk between sessions. Made several new friends and now have some new ideas. Glad to learn more about PCIA standards and new GACC during breaks.. Also some detailed Engineering talks with people like Marc Pare and Dale Andreatta.

One idea I think that deserves more working on is coupling the stoves topic with the village power topic - while making char. I have started a meeting on that with a knowledgeable TEG friend, with two of the Village Power presenters. I think TEGS could eventually be cheaper than PV and, unlike solar/wind, is dispatchable.

Hope this is helpful to those who couldn't attend. I intend to write something additional for "Biochar"
Other ETHOS thoughts? Ron