[Stoves] Jatropha fruit as fuel?

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 19:59:58 CDT 2012

Dear joyce,
Jatropha nuts is a source of vegetable oil and therefore it has a higher
commercial value than wood. I would advice you to look for a plant. which
has woody stalks. Prosopis juliflora (mesquite) is a wonderful woody plant,
which is hardy, fixes its own nitrogen, not eaten by herbivores and which
serves a large population in India as a free source of cooking fuel. Also
woody agricultural crop species like cotton and pigeonpea can be a big
source of cooking fuel.
Adding a grate to a three stone fire or to a simple mud stove would turn it
into something like a rocket stove, whereby the fuel gets primary air
through the grate and the air entering the stove through the firemounth
serves as the secondary air, causing the gaseous part of the fuel to burn
completely. It would not only raise the efficiency but also reduce the
smoke. Do it by all means.
Yours
A.D.Karve

--