[Stoves] Improving Thermal Efficiency (TARP-VE)

Ken Boak ken.boak at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 14:22:04 CDT 2012

Here's a related question,

Suppose I have a vertical metal cylinder that is being heated by combustion
gases from the inside - for the sake of argument - like a 48" length of 12"
diameter 316 stainless steel flue pipe.

Let's assume that this pipe is getting hot - dull orange, even when the
outer surface is exposed to free air.

If I then enclose this pipe in an annular sleeve - again 48" long - open at
each end,  like a 14" diameter tube - so that there is a 1" annular gap for
air to freely be drawn into, will the effect of this sleeve create a
beneficial flue effect, and increase the velocity of the cooling air
draught around the flue pipe?

I'm considering this arrangement as a means of delivering preheated air,
and providing cooling to a large woodgas burner.

Any thoughts

Ken