[Stoves] Clean Combustion Thoughts

Dean Still deankstill at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 14:00:29 CDT 2012

 Dear Stovers,

Here I am jumping into the lion's den again with some thoughts that guide
me when trying to design clean burning stoves. I add these 10 thoughts to
Larry's ten well known design principles.

All Best,

Dean

1.)    Flame is hot enough to combust gases and particulate matter. The
object is to have all the gases and particulate matter enter the flame for
a long enough time to complete combustion.

2.)    Force the gases and particulate matter to enter the flame by
arranging the shape of the combustion chamber.

3.)    Only make the amount of gas and particulate matter that will enter
the flame.

4.)    Create as much flame as possible consistent with the above.

5.)    Generally 3 times stochiometric air is needed for clean combustion
(Smith).

6.)    Temperatures in the walls of the combustion chamber are generally
lowered by appropriate guidance of gas and smoke into flame.

7.)    Lowered flame temperatures seem to produce less black carbon.

8.)    Mixing of gas, flame, and PM encourages complete combustion.

9.)    Try to deliver only clean flame or gas to the pot. A stove may seem
clean burning before the pot is put in place.

      10.) Forced air jets can block flames from touching the pot. Having
the combustion zone close to the pot assists heat transfer by increasing
radiation.