[Stoves] the 150 gasifier in operation in Vietnam

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 02:18:37 CST 2012

On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 06:30:18 +0000, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:

>The fact that the metal is red hot tells you it is not IR. If it was efficient in IR it would be black.

Crispin the steel will radiate energy depending on its temperature,
the colour which you observe will be a measure of its temperature. The
temperature will be at an equilibrium when the heat from the gas flame
equals the heat lost by the metal by radiation conduction and
convection, as it is in the flame we can assume the conduction and
convection have little effect.

The only conclusion I can see from this is that at equilibrium a poor
emitter will become hotter than a good emitter.

AJH