[Stoves] radiant heat capture, total heat measurement

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Thu Mar 8 12:30:57 CST 2012

Dear Kevin Crispin and all,

So you can heat an object 'around a corner' using a mirror at 45 deg. C - if
I understand what you are saying. You can focus heat to an object (pot)
using light colored materials directed at an angle to do that.  Great
experiment!

Another question if you don't mind.
Heating an iron block  cm X cm X cm in a furnace to 400 deg C and picking it
up and placing in a liter of water at room temperature and measuring
temperature increase of the water will give the amount of heat that
centimeter block will hold. And can calculate the amount of wood needed to
heat a stove body of, say 500kg (realizing heat leaves at a certain rate).
Is there a word and  list of values for different materials of the amount of
heat a material will hold (or required) for different temperatures? Seems
this an important thing to know because it is the minimum biomass (joules)
needed to bring the stove body to a temperature where the fuel will be clean
burning.  The material type, weight and heat holding value should be a part
of stove 'value' when comparing one to another as it's the startup and cool
down that gives the dirtiest air.

Thanks
Frank
Frank Shields
42 Hangar Way
Watsonville,  CA  95076
(831) 724-5244 tel
(831) 724-3188 fax
frank at bioCharlab.com

PS  Kevin - see any Northern Lights last night?