[Stoves] the 150 gasifier in operation in Vietnam (Matt Redmond)

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu Mar 8 18:21:08 CST 2012

Paul, Matt, list:

I like your (earlier) idea of a ceramic "strainer". You might want to start by doing more googling on the topic of "ceramic foam" - which seems to be a relatively new sub-discipline of the ceramic industry. The "foam" companies seem to be able to produce a material which can serve as a strainer (open cell structure, not closed) - which will allow the hot gases to flow through the foam.

Here is one example of a group explaining this sort of work:
http://www.madehow.com/Volume-5/Ceramic-Filter.html#b

There are plenty of companies doing this "foam" work - to be found via googling.

Following Matt's suggestions below, there may be a place also for "rock wool" - vs glass fiber (to get higher temp capability.

If you use metal (as below), I think a thin ceramic coating might help on longevity, if the coating is thin enough. Will be hard to match coefficients of thermal expansion, but may be possible .

Ron