[Stoves] radiant heat capture, total heat measurement

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Mar 8 20:23:06 CST 2012

Dear Matthew

It is amazing how something so simple can escalate to something wonderfully intriguing!! :-)

Firstly, the "ordinary mirror" is a bit complex. The silvered surface is on the "far side" of the glass. Window glass is opaque to both UV and IR radiation. The "mirrored surface" on the far side of the mirror glass likely does not enter into the situation at all.

Note that, as Crispin pointed out, the red laser with a "laser thermometer" is simply a visible pointing aid.  It merely points to the center of the surface being "surveyed" by the IR temperature sensor in the instrument.

Please see: http://www.holanengineering.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/emissivity_1.pdf for a very complete listing of the emissivities of many materials at various temperatures and surface conditions. We see that the surface emissivity of smooth glass is .95 between 0 and 200 C.  Thus, the surface temperature of the glass is 95% of a "perfect emitting surface".  Note also under a following section "Paint, Lacquer, Varnishes" that the emissivities of surfaces painted with oil based paints varies from .92 to .96, with 16 different colors being tested.

Note that my "laser thermometer is a cheap one... $29 from Canadian Tire (also known as "Cambodian Tire" :-) It is not one I would rely on to make conclusive statements with relatively small temperature differences. However, I must say that in certain circumstances, it is very accurate. I measured the temperature of a batch of wine I was aging in a 5 gallon carboy, and with a mercury thermometer, reading 64 degrees, the Laser Temperature was also 64 degrees when pointed at the wine surface, AND also, 64 degrees, when pointed at the glass walls of the carboy.

I tried the Aluminium Foil Experiment, as you suggested. I hung the foil in direct contact with the mirror surface, with "shiny side out." Temperature readings were as follows:
1: Temperature of a "far wall" 58.0 F
2: Temperature 58.7 F, when front of instrument was held in direct contact with the mirror (emissivity ~ .95
3: Temperature 71.3 F, when front of instrument was held in direct contact with the Aluminium foil, which was in direct contact with the mirror. (emissivity ~ .1)

I then repeated the experiment, using a CD. I placed the disk on a table for it to equilibrate in temperature, and then with the face of the instrument in direct contact with the CD, I got the following readings:

Temperature 62.6 F, when reading the "Painted Side" (emissivity ~ .9)
Temperature 59.7 F, when reading the "Shiny Side"     (emissivity ~ .1)

That is interesting, in that with "foil test" and the "CD test", the differences in emissivities were similar, but for the  CD Test, temperature readings were not at all like those observed with the "foil test."

At any rate, these simple tests seem to raise more questions than providing answers. :-(

Best wishes,

Kevin