[Stoves] radiant heat capture, total heat measurement

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 21:35:06 CST 2012

Dear Kevin

I have enjoyed your experiments. I was wondering I you could get a different temperature from the mirror by trying to receive different incident angles. At some point there will be a very effective reflection off the surface of the glass, not the mirrored surface behind it.

Because glass is a pretty good absorber of IR it is also a pretty good emitter.

One thing for sure, when testing a new surface you should calibrate the emissivity using a contact thermocouple - often provided with the unit if the emissivity is adjustable. Frank has that sort.

PS anyone see the CME impact in N America?