[Stoves] radiant heat capture, total heat measurement

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 02:28:17 CST 2012

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 03:35:06 +0000, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:

>Because glass is a pretty good absorber of IR it is also a pretty good emitter.

Surely glass absorbs the higher energy spectrum we can't see in the UV
band ( which is why you won't get a tan beside a close window) and
passes visible light and higher frequency infra red from hot bodies,
like the sun, but absorbs the lower energy infra red from cooler
bodies like earth and our bodies. This is the "greenhouse" effect,
other substances act similarly but we'd best not go there.

AJH