[Stoves] Pasifier Video

Alex English english at kingston.net
Mon Mar 12 20:43:51 CDT 2012

Hi Ron,
see answers below

On 12/03/2012 5:49 PM, rongretlarson at comcast.net wrote:
> Alex cc List
>
>     Nice work (again).
>
>     Few questions:
>
>   1.  You sent in a "stoves" message on 12 Jan that had some
> similarities to, but also major differences from, this given below.
> Can you describe how and why the various differences?
On February 6 I posted some pictures of the "natural draft Dasifier".
This latest post is working with that basic arrangement.

The big difference is that there is a  bed of glowing/gasifying char
below the vertical fuel hopper. It supports the fuel and limits its flow
down ward. So within limits, the power level is controlled by the
primary under grate air, just like most air controlled stoves. This is
very effective if the both the ash and the fuel flows freely, as with
premium( low ash) wood pellets. If I try to use oat hull pellets which
have eight times the ash content and tend to hold their shape as a
char-ash, it doesn't let fresh pellets slip down, it won't work. The
wood pellets fire in a nozzle at the base of the hopper. I ran it with a
2 inch diameter 4 inch long nozzle for about 80 hours before I had a
bridge and flame out. Not good enough. Now it is a 2.5 inch diameter X 4
inch long  nozzle with the bottom inch reduced with a 2 inch insert. No
problems since.

With chips, and there are many different qualities and sizes of chips,
there is no nozzle. There tends to be some irregularity in chip
flow/slippage down the tube. This results in power fluctuations and
concurrent changes in combustion quality as gas production and excess
air fluctuates. Still quite effective though. There is always more to
learn, but especially with the chip.

A second difference is the secondary air inlet. Much more controllable
now than with the first outfit.

>   2.  I can't see a reason for the name "pasifier",  but my google
> search engine was sure you had mis-spelled "pacifier". I assume "P"
> might stand for "pellet"?  How about the "as"?   Yours seems to have
> some similarity to the "dasifier" - is that part of the name history?
Passive Gasifier, like passive solar, no pumps or fans, no electricity
required.

>   3.  You also indicated this was working for wood chips - which is
> welcome news because of presumed lower costs.  Can you say more on costs?
Pellets are now a commodity at 5-7 dollars a bag up here. Chips  can be
free to what ever mulch sells for. We buy them by the truck load for
35-55 dollars  per tonne.

>   4.  Do you have (or could have) any control on output power?  For
> how long can the indicated tall supply last - and how much does power
> change during this period?
Yes but there is a minimum where the fire slowly creeps up the nozzle
below say 5 KW. At 8 KW it goes for about 2 hours on a "tank". The
longest continuous run has been 14 hours.

>   5.  Any chance that this can be run as a charcoal-maker?  (with some
> re-design assumed/allowed).
Yes, but with augers, it isn't a Pasifier.

>   6.  You showed 0.1 inch water pressure difference.   At
>
> http://www.gutenberg.org/files/22657/22657-h/chapters/chimneys.html
> they show .67 inches for 100 ft chimney.     Is yours in the
> neighborhood of 14-15 feet?  (This assuming closer to 500 oF, per
> their example)
Close enough. I  have started it with as little as .02 inches of H2O,
though slowly. The stack of the wood stove exiting the room is usually
in the 300-400F range.

>   7.  Your previous video concentrated on the flame inside the
> (modified) original stove.  Presumably this time no flame to be seen
> there?
Yes it should be completed under the cooking stove top.

>    8.  We haven't heard anything on your earlier moving grate burner
> modifications for the greenhouse.  Have you been getting some char
> out?  (presumably chips?)
We have been working on feed stock quality and have just now received
material which should be good. One of several hurdles. Some researchers
are keen to do more work with us, so we will make some char over the
next couple of weeks.

> Thanks again for keeping us informed.    Ron

I try,
Alex