[Stoves] radiant heat capture, total heat measurement

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Wed Mar 14 06:01:25 CDT 2012

See comments.

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Andrew C. Parker <acparker at xmission.com>wrote:

> Are you measuring the temperature of the gas or the radiant temperature or
> both?

I am supposed to be measuring both.
The temperature with the dome normally should not be be less than without
the dome.
This, though, is what's happening.
This means, perhaps, that the probe is not absorbing thermal radiation very
well.

> The gas temperature should go down with the dome and the radiant energy
> should go up.

It makes perfect sense that the gas temperature should go down.
I think that my probe, though, is not picking up the thermal radiation very
well when the dome is present.
But, then, without the dome, the probe turns red hot.
With the dome, it does not.

> In reading the patents I posted earlier, the point appears to be to
> convert as much heat into IR as possible.  Infraconic purports to convert
> 70% or more, which seems a reasonable goal, since the heaters are pointed
> down.

I like very much the funnel that surrounds the infraconic heater.
http://www.infraconic.com/
What is the funnel made from?

> If you want to measure the total radiant heat from the dome, it might be
> more complex than a single temperature probe.
>
> Both commercial heater patents burn the gas in/on the porous layer.  Both
> use diffuser(s)/flame suppressor(s) before the combustion layer.  I think
> that the gas diffusers in both designs also serve to reflect radiant energy
> back to the combustion layer.  The Infraconic adds an amplifying layer
> after the combustion layer.
>
> Have you tried using the mesh dome as your primary gas burner (be careful
> of backfires)?

Yes, if I turn the gas very low, I only get combustion of the gas in the
apex of the dome.
No backfires occur.

--
Paul A. Olivier PhD