[Stoves] radiant heat capture, total heat measurement

Andrew C. Parker acparker at xmission.com
Wed Mar 14 01:54:40 CDT 2012

Are you measuring the temperature of the gas or the radiant temperature or
both?  The gas temperature should go down with the dome and the radiant
energy should go up.  In reading the patents I posted earlier, the point
appears to be to convert as much heat into IR as possible.  Infraconic
purports to convert 70% or more, which seems a reasonable goal, since the
heaters are pointed down.

If you want to measure the total radiant heat from the dome, it might be
more complex than a single temperature probe.

Both commercial heater patents burn the gas in/on the porous layer.  Both
use diffuser(s)/flame suppressor(s) before the combustion layer.  I think
that the gas diffusers in both designs also serve to reflect radiant
energy back to the combustion layer.  The Infraconic adds an amplifying
layer after the combustion layer.

Have you tried using the mesh dome as your primary gas burner (be careful
of backfires)?

The two chimney designs convert heat from a primary heat source and
convert it into IR or visible light.  There may be some secondary
combustion in/on the porous layer.

For Rocket stovers, the first thing that came to mind when I read the
Infraconic patents and, more particularly after reading the chimney
patent, was Aprovecho's study on controlling chimney draft.

Andrew Parker (Not AJH, so feel free to take my comments with a sack of
salt.)