[Stoves] Energy loss in making high grade fuels

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Thu Mar 15 12:07:05 CDT 2012

Ron, Andrew

A very rough estimate:
Gross Calorific Value (dry basis) for wood pellets is 5.5 kWh/kg or 5,500
kWh/tonne. (4.6 kWh/kg at 10 % MC).
(Biomass Combustion and Co-firing Handbook, S.van Loo and J Koppejan (ed),
http://www.ieabcc.nl/ )

Fuel to dry wood increases the wood requirement to make a tonne of pellets
by about 15%, or 15% x 5,000 = 825 kWh.
Electrcial energy for the pellet plants we design is between 130-150
kWhe/tonne. Specific energy for the pellet machine is about 80 kWe. The rest
is auxiliary equipment for conveying, sizing, etc. 150 x 5  (energy from
wood at 20% efficiency) = 750 kWh. (750/5500 = 14% of GCV)
Total 750+825 = 1575 kWh/tonne.
1575/5500 = 29% of GCV

Dr. Sahab Sokjansanj, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, and others have done
more detailed analyses that have been published in US Department of Energy
reports and journals of the American Association of  Agricultural and
Biological Engineers (ASABE).
http://www.esd.ornl.gov/people/sokhansanj/

There has also been significant work funded by the EU in the last five years
on pelleting energy requirements.

Regards,

Tom