[Stoves] Energy loss in making high grade fuels

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Tue Mar 13 23:51:14 CDT 2012

AD,
The energy required to make a typical ag residue, hollow core briquette is almost entirely bound up in labor cost.
•The resources are free and within usually 30 minutes of the production site and transported by hand. What you collect dry is what comes out int eh form of a finished briquette once dry with notmroe than 5% losses generally.
• All gathering processing pressing and drying processes use manually operated devices which are amortised at a few cents (US) a day.

We could assume 60 watts continuous energy output of one average briquette-maker working as either part of a 20 person or 4 to 6 person or a two person team  on any of the 25 odd types of  presses out online and in use, today.

Generally though, one worker's output including all the collection, processing materials pressing and drying elements of the production process, will fall between 15 and 30 kgs of briquette product over a full working day for this kind of wet, low pressure briquete making process

Taking conservatively, the  lower average output of product, thats about 60watts  x 8hrs / 15kgs or, 32 watts/kg.

An average of 140 grams each,  7 briquettes per kg.

Two and a half briquettes ( 350 grams) on average,  are consummed per person per day in the average family cooking and sanitation water situation. Thats about 10 watts per person per day

average ag-residue briquette heat output is between 1 and 2 kw, depending upon blend stove etc.
Taking again the more  conservative figure, that comes out to  an output/ input ratio  of 1000/10 or,
    100 to 1.

Kind regards,

Richard Stanley
www.legacyfound.org