[Stoves] radiant heat capture, total heat measurement

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Thu Mar 15 14:10:29 CDT 2012

Andrew,

If rice hulls are not properly dedusted, they generate a lot of cinders,
when gasified.
The dome serves as a filter.

The dome also shelters the flames from wind.
Note that when I did the tests yesterday, there was no wind.
Of course there are other ways to shelter the flames from wind.

The dome also allows one to turn down the fan to a level not possible
otherwise.
Remember the cloud of burning gas at the top the dome.
But how important is such a big turn down ratio?

It is easy to make the burner housing in a single stamp of a large press.
But the dome is far more complicated to fabricate.
If the dome does not significantly increase the efficiency of transfer of
heat to a pot,
it is hard to justify its cost.

Thanks.
Paul