[Stoves] Firewood should be Heat Treated before trasnsport

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Fri Mar 16 08:43:46 CDT 2012

Dear John

I think the big thing about spread of such pests as the Pine beetle is "environmental change.". More specifically, with changes in weather patterns that make certain areas warmer in "winter", the over-wintering pests will not be killed.

Simply heat treating all incoming fuels is unlikely to be helpful.... if the present environment is adequately "bad for the pests", then there is no need for heat treating. If the forest environment has changed to the point where it is now "environmentally favourable" for the spread of the pest, then all it takes is a warm wind from the wrong direction to blow in a herd of pests, to infect the forest "naturally."

Best wishes,

Kevin