[Stoves] Belonio burner top on TLUD stoves was Re: radiant heat capture, total heat measurement

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 11:56:09 CDT 2012

Dear Paul A

I think quite a bit more experimentation is needed before copying the top
end of Alexis' burner. The evolution is that it was not a premixed flame and
the structure was built with that in mind. The change to a premixed flame
was not matched by a change in the structure. The result is that there is a
very high excess air rate passing through the underside and emerging by the
pot. This has the effect of heating a lot of air an lowering the gas
temperature beside the pot.

I feel that a 30% improvement in heat transfer efficiency can be achieved by
addressing this issue.

I have noticed that stove builders fall roughly into two groups: those who
build high neat transfer efficiency stove bodies but with mediocre
combustion, and those who make really good combustion but neglect the detail
of getting good heat transfer. In some cases there is a sort of blind
adherence to the idea that a fuel is 'clean' and there is no need for
either. 'Clean burning means efficient,' which is nonsense.

We should all be paying a lot of attention to both aspects of stove
building: efficient combustion and efficient heat transfer. One does not
automatically derive from the other.