[Stoves] Radiation Analysis for Gasifier

Robert Deutsch robdeutsch at online.com.kh
Sat Mar 17 14:00:30 CDT 2012

txs

From: stoves-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org [mailto:stoves-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org] On Behalf Of rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2012 10:54 AM
To: Discussion of biomass cooking stoves; Marc Pare; Paul Olivier; mredmond3 at gatech.edu
Subject: Re: [Stoves] Radiation Analysis for Gasifier

Marc, Matt etal

    Two problems I see with your analysis.

   First is minor -  Your equation 1 show a linear variation with temperature, whereas it should show a 4th power.   But you were using the proper fourth power in your Excel spread sheet - so this was just a typo.

   More serious is your assumption that the metal portion of the mesh is 10%.  This is appropriate only for a very few mesh per inch and fine wire.  My guess is that Paul's mesh could be more like 30-40% - which will change your conclusion a great deal.  See pages like:

    http://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh/TWPCAT_12/p_014X014S0170W48T

   So this is to ask Paul Olivier for a visual check on what he was using in his particular strainer.  A manufacturer and model number would be helpful, if available

   Conversely, I worry about assuming the mesh was as high as 750 degrees - based on the color in Paul's photo.  But I am used (vaguely - long time ago) to looking at solid materials through a peep hole in ceramic kilns.  The openness of the mesh must affect our visual color/temperature calibrations.  Anyone up on that?

   I'd like to know more about the maximum possible kiln power level - by knowing the amount of rice husk consumed per unit time  (same as question asked by Crispin, I think).  From this we can start to compute the convective heat transfer coefficient.  In other words, what part of the output energy was not getting into the cookpot?  I think we can assume a larger portion of the radiative energy was captured than of the convective.

   Also the amount of water evaporated should be easy to measure rather than guesstimate.   I also would feel better running longer and using the weight evaporated for these energy capture-power computations.

Ron

  _____