[Stoves] The end user

Lanny Henson lannych at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 6 15:42:56 CST 2012

Paal,
What a good topic!
I have been working a list and even though it is incomplete, I will toss it in the pot to simmer.

First, a list for commercial and institutional appliances, may be different than for household appliances.

I am not sure if there can be an order of priority. It may be that all or most of the design issues have to be solved for the stove to be practical. And it may be hard to separate them.

End user considerations for biomass fired appliance designs:

  a.. Cost and payoff period and durability
  b.. Functionality
  c.. Performs the cooking task
  d.. Uses the fuel available
  e.. Cook friendly, ease of use, less skills and attention required,
  f.. Easy clean up.
  g.. Forgiving of mistakes by cook, like slow to refuel and loss of ignition.
  h.. Consistency, cooks the same way every time. so you know how much time to cook and how much fuel to use.
  i.. Reliability, functions in all weather, works every time, does not fail.
  j.. Removes or reduces, indoor or outdoor, cookspace air pollution.
  k.. Flexibility, can cook different types of food at different rates like hot quick and low and slow. And can use different fuels.
  l.. Durability serviceability and reparability.
Lanny