[Stoves] Smoke-free biomass pellet fueled stove

Crispin P-P crispinpigott at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 03:47:54 CST 2012

Dear Jaakko

Thanks and that is exactly what I had in mind as a mechanism - steam reacts
with char in the same way that gasification plants work.

The big advantage of burning damp fuel is that there is basically no need
to change the air supply at the end of the initial burning phase. This
keeps the stove simple. There is a large gain in fuel efficiency if the
char can be burned concurrently even considering the fuel moisture issue.
This simple fact is being overlooked in the enthusiasm for char making
stoves. The issue is deserving of our attention.

++++++++++

Dear Crispin

I think this is due to the fact that the velocity of the ignition
front in the fuel bed depends on the moisture. Moist wood particles
require longer time to ignite. For higher moisture increasing amount
of energy from char is required to heat and dry the fuel below the
ignition front to the ignition temperature. Only a part of the energy
from char is radiated below and much of it is radiated and carried by
convection above the ignition front.

Autogasification could take place for larger wood particles, if there
is still moisture in the centre of the particle when the outer layer
is already charred . Then steam from drying in the inner part  of the
particles reacts with the outer char layer (see M.P. Järvinen, R.
Zevenhoven, E.K. Vakkilainen, Auto-gasification of a biofuel,
Combustion and Flame, Volume 131, 2002, 357-370).

Jaakko Saastamoinen