[Stoves] Smoke-free biomass pellet fueled stove

Saastamoinen Jaakko Jaakko.Saastamoinen at vtt.fi
Fri Nov 9 02:51:08 CST 2012

Dear Crispin

I think this is due to the fact that the velocity of the ignition front in the fuel bed depends on the moisture. Moist wood particles require longer time to ignite. For higher moisture increasing amount of energy from char is required to heat and dry the fuel below the ignition front to the ignition temperature. Only a part of the energy from char is radiated below and much of it is radiated and carried by convection above the ignition front.

Autogasification could take place for larger wood particles, if there is still moisture in the centre of the particle when the outer layer is already charred . Then steam from drying in the inner part  of the particles reacts with the outer char layer (see M.P. Järvinen, R. Zevenhoven, E.K. Vakkilainen, Auto-gasification of a biofuel, Combustion and Flame, Volume 131, 2002, 357-370).

Jaakko Saastamoinen