[Stoves] Cost of stoves

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 10:46:27 CST 2012

Dear Paul

Poor people who buy fuel often pay about 20-25% of their income for energy. above 25-30% they switch fuels.

That is the number/value to watch, not so much the concept of disposable income. If a stove will save its own cost people will consider it. Access to the stove (payments etc) then becomes the issue, not the absolute cost.

These issues have been explored pretty well for years. You point out that transport and ceramics are significant costs. True, but there are economics of scale to win with there too. I can land a Swazi stove in Kigali Rwanda for less than the cost of VAT in South Africa so it is cheaper in Kigali than 400 km away in JHB. Transport in bulk is cheap. The last mile can be expensive.

Mass produced (and very good) ceramics and glass can be very cheap. Regarding those spending a week's wages on a stove (more like 3 days) : think about the cost of a pot. I was recently in Jogjakarta and asked a group of women why they thought it was reasonable to expect to pay Rs540,000 for three pots (woks with lids) and only Rs150,000 for a good stove to cook them on (about $54 and $15 respectively). They were surprised by the comparison and had not considered it directly before. The answer was that the pots were bought at the market and they had no control over the price but they could always make an open fire or traditional clay 3-pot stove themselves.

An important part of the attitude was the durability of the product. Stoves are not considered to last 'forever' whereas pots are.
In closing Cecil Cool found that the upper limit of a stove cost was related to the ability to save cash before something started to dip into the pile. That value in Lusaka was 10 day's wages. The willingness to pay for a stove however stopped at $2.50.