[Stoves] A bit about shale energy

Carefreeland at aol.com Carefreeland at aol.com
Mon Oct 15 15:38:06 CDT 2012

In a message dated 10/15/2012 2:26:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
acparker at xmission.com writes:

DD: Dan Dimiduk replies

DD:     I have noted that there has been a big  discovery of offshore
natural gas on the East Coast of Africa. I wonder if the  development of that
basin will have better socioeconomic results than the  nightmares of the
Nigerian delta. You would think that these countries would  learn that in the end,
corruption hurts everyone. Then again, we have corruption  in this country
after 200 years of stable rule, by and for the people. It would  be nice to
see some of that gas piped into local towns for local benefit and
development, sold at a reasonable price to locals. Instead it may all  be sold
abroad, shipped as LNG, with the benefits only going to the few.  Something to
watch.
    I cannot help but think that China developing it's  extensive shale gas
reserves, could take some of the price pressure off of most  globally
traded fossil fuels. The problem seems to be they have no  infrastructure for
gas. I can imagine that just setting up gas turbine  generators in the gas
fields could take some pressure off of their overworked  coal fired grid. They
are currently buying coal reserves from everybody, plowing  up the earth to
keep up. NG powered mass transit could slow the sale of  automobiles,
reducing oil consumption. Certainly anything that slows the  increase in global
coal ( or oil) consumption will help the environment.
    I am encouraged by the fact that an infrastructure  developed for NG
could also use biogas or producer gas in the future.  Here in Ohio, we lead
the world with landfill gas being harvested and used  locally, or fed into the
gas grid where clean enough. Now we find we are also  sitting on enough
shale gas to power most countries. Good thing the  landfill gas was developed
when gas prices were high.  - Dan D.

Dan,

I don't know that it will have much of an impact on  stove designers and
purveyors for/in developing countries.   Even if shale oil and gas were to
be found in those regions, the  common people in less developed countries
usually bear the brunt of  the ill effects of the oil industry, without
realizing much, if any,  benefit.