[Stoves] A bit about shale energy

Andrew C. Parker acparker at xmission.com
Mon Oct 15 16:36:08 CDT 2012

I will hope that things will change for the better in Africa, but it is a
slim hope.

The irony for "Big Oil" hating environmentalists is that changing the
source of fuel is not going to hurt big oil in the long run.  They own the
distribution and retail infrastructure.

Electric vehicles are simply unworkable outside of short commutes (I could
use an inexpensive, street legal golf cart, as much of my driving is under
5 miles round-trip, and on flat, low-speed surface roads that meet Low
Speed Vehicle requirements) and can never replace conventional liquid
fueled vehicles, unless some breakthrough is made in battery or capacitor
technology that does not require rare earth elements.

To keep closer to subject, I read that if biomass is mixed with coal,
around 20 to 30 percent, in the gasification process, it reduces CO2
production below that produced in refining oil -- if you're keeping
score.  Another source of gas that can put-off the inevitable by a few
hundred years.