[Stoves] Straw roofs and fires

Andrew C. Parker acparker at xmission.com
Sat Oct 20 21:31:25 CDT 2012

Slightly off topic, but, entire villages of palm-thatched homes are
frequently burned to the ground due to accidental fire, in the border
region of Nigeria and Cameroon on the coast.  It is most often from
unattended fires for smoking fish, which must be done indoors because of
frequent rain.  Fortunately, the fire spreads slowly enough that there are
usually no serious injuries.  From what my contact there told me, they do
not have any firefighting equipment or training, at least not at the
village level.