[Stoves] Straw roofs and fires

Alex English english at kingston.net
Sat Oct 20 15:23:13 CDT 2012

Frank,
It is an interesting question. Hollywood movies frequently show villages
going up a blaze as you describe. Would they use an accelerant? Usually
they show them lit by torches. A wind would really get it going.
However, as someone who has tried burning bales of hay or straw I can
attest to how difficult some of these materials are to get going,
burning, when they are packed. Combine that with the fact that a  spark
from a small cooking fire has to be low enough in mass to travel up in
the lazy open convection current, it likely has a low specific heat. The
cooking environment will  include added moisture to the air. It would be
interesting to know the moisture content of the thatch. Perhaps the
species used are selected through time and  tradition for their fire
limiting characteristics. I am not sure about all thatched roofs but
exposed underside looks quite different than the top. The finer, thinner
biomass over lapping on the top, with the coarser stem, less easily
ignited, under lapping on the bottom. Chimneys may make it worse,
rapidly conveying any sparks to the top side.

In my work I occasionally have to do 'hot' metal work surrounded by
flammable biomass, usually dry wood chips and fines and dust. Glowing
metal fragments, sparks from a grinder are generally very small and cool
rapidly in contact with anything, except my clothing:) A welding or
cutting splatter is often larger and will get a spot in a  layer of wood
dust smouldering. I understand that in many industrial settings they
post a fire watch for up to 6 hours after, around sites where 'hot' work
was completed. I tend to do those kinda jobs in the morning.

Perhaps the cooks are always on the 'fire watch', both up and down.

And then there is wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thatching
with a section on fires.

Alex