[Stoves] Very small stoves and reheating food

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Mon Oct 22 16:19:46 CDT 2012

quick ignition for small heat loads …
Makes me wonder about this idea of gettign a small fire ignited quickly.. Think twigs ; huge surface area to volume ratio, lots of air…
And the Pellet stove aplies the idea ver well…. very little fuel burning –at any one time but its being fed in continuously and consistently..
It seems that a tube thru which one fed pencil sized slivers continuously would be a better move to quick ignition, no matter what the fuel used.
Richard Stanley

On Oct 22, 2012, at 9:58 AM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:

>More info on Peter Coughlin's device.  Photos, links, etc. please.

I think Peter has this well documented. The dim’s were from me. The fuel load is 210 mm dia and the funnel is placed on the centre. The lesson is that a small diameter will work but slowly. It should be tapered and it has to have a handle because it gets very hot very rapidly.

>Seems a bit big, but it is essentially a chimney placed onto an amount (how much) of charcoal and how much tinder.

Normally the charcoal is top-lit so it is just placed on top as an accelerator. Yes it is big. Smaller just does not deliver the savings and speed. It is a tool that lasts.

> Probably not directly applicable to "Very small stoves" subject, but it might be scaleable down in size?

Definitely scalable. It is likely to be the same as the diameter of the chamber small stoves, not on top.  Note that a 5 inch stove is pretty small if it is Jiko or POCA-like.

>Just a note for comparison.   A common charcoal lighter for American style charcoal grills is a simple cylinder half that height and about 150 mm straight walls, but it has charcoal placed inside (quite different).

Yes quite different. Different principle and not as effective, and disturbs the fire, and the heating of the ‘charge’ does not assist drying the charcoal below. The cone is much more effective. Try it and you may introduce it as an accelerator for the TLUD pellet burners.

Incidentally we ran a stove I found in TLUD mode today using kinda long 8mm pellets (local wood) – breathed rather too much but apart from being a biggish flame, ran CO/CO2 at <0.60% for ages (certainly more than an hour) and ≈0.30 quite a lot of the time. There is a lot to be said for the combination.  I will try a new TLUD pellet stove tomorrow.

stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org

http://www.bioenergylists.org/