[Stoves] Very small stoves and reheating food

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 11:58:56 CDT 2012

>More info on Peter Coughlin's device.  Photos, links, etc. please.

I think Peter has this well documented. The dim's were from me. The fuel
load is 210 mm dia and the funnel is placed on the centre. The lesson is
that a small diameter will work but slowly. It should be tapered and it has
to have a handle because it gets very hot very rapidly.

>Seems a bit big, but it is essentially a chimney placed onto an amount (how
much) of charcoal and how much tinder.

Normally the charcoal is top-lit so it is just placed on top as an
accelerator. Yes it is big. Smaller just does not deliver the savings and
speed. It is a tool that lasts.

> Probably not directly applicable to "Very small stoves" subject, but it
might be scaleable down in size?

Definitely scalable. It is likely to be the same as the diameter of the
chamber small stoves, not on top.  Note that a 5 inch stove is pretty small
if it is Jiko or POCA-like.

>Just a note for comparison.   A common charcoal lighter for American style
charcoal grills is a simple cylinder half that height and about 150 mm
straight walls, but it has charcoal placed inside (quite different).

Yes quite different. Different principle and not as effective, and disturbs
the fire, and the heating of the 'charge' does not assist drying the
charcoal below. The cone is much more effective. Try it and you may
introduce it as an accelerator for the TLUD pellet burners.

Incidentally we ran a stove I found in TLUD mode today using kinda long 8mm
pellets (local wood) - breathed rather too much but apart from being a
biggish flame, ran CO/CO2 at <0.60% for ages (certainly more than an hour)
and ?0.30 quite a lot of the time. There is a lot to be said for the
combination.  I will try a new TLUD pellet stove tomorrow.